Apprentice Learning’s City Summer is a program for eligible rising ninth girls that uses workplace experiences to develop mindsets for future success and improves engagement in the classroom by making concrete connections between personal success and career achievement.
Using the rich array of businesses and organizations in Boston, City Summer Internship guides interns the exploration their interests and strengths and provides real world opportunities to build work readiness skills in communication, self-presentation and leadership. Partner organizations host interns at their workplace for engaging activities that model the culture of the organization and offer an opportunity to learn about the career field while interacting with professionals in the field. Partners have included, the MBTA, Suffolk Construction, Foley Hoag LLC, Commonwealth Kitchen, Hollister Institute, NorthStar Asset Management, and Menton Restaurant.
1. Gain knowledge of local career opportunities and the steps it takes to get there.
2. Practice essential job readiness skills.
3. Narrow the opportunity gap by building wider social networks for participants.
4. Transition successfully to high school.
1. Learn and practice the positive work habits essential to school and career success.
2. Provide academic enrichment to strengthen skills.
3. Use local businesses as workplace classrooms to create access and opportunity.
4. Provide a positive work experience for students.
City Summer Internship will hire 23 rising ninth graders (entering ninth grade in fall 2019). Interns will earn a weekly stipend of $85 per week from Apprentice Learning for meeting professional expectations. Additionally, two Peer Leaders will be hired from Program Alumnae.
Eligible students include any rising ninth grader who:
1. Completed an Apprentice Learning apprenticeship
2. Attends an Apprentice Learning partner school and is recommended by his/her teacher.
3. Is a resident of the City of Boston with preference given to low-income communities.
Program Dates: Monday, July 8 – August 9, 2019 (5 weeks)
Schedule: 9 am – 1 pm M-T-F, 9 am – 3 pm W – TH. Breakfast provided from 8:30-9:00 am.
Location: Urban College, 2 Boylston Street, Boston, 02116
Accessible by MBTA via the Orange Line, Green Lines, Silver and Red Line
Email INFO@APPRENTICELEARNING>ORG for an application form.