Seeking a talented educator to lead our five-week, paid career internship for rising ninth grade girls.
City Summer Internship (CSI) is a summer internship program for girls entering ninth grade that provides $100 per week stipend. This five-week program introduces young women to opportunities in Boston’s economic engine neighborhoods using a blend of classroom-based career education activities and real-world experiences.
Five weeks of success seminars are paired with workplace explorations where the girls visit a variety of businesses, focusing on fields where women are underrepresented. Weekly preparation for workplace visits includes group discussions on goal setting, values, as well as practicing leadership, self-presentation, communication skills and self-advocacy in the workplace and beyond. The program is taught through a gender lens with an emphasis on unpacking gender and racial stereotypes.
Every facet of the program is designed to help understand and break through barriers that limit young women’s access to career opportunities in Boston.
City Summer Internship Program Dates: July 8 – August 11, 2020
The City Summer Instructor must be committed to girl’s development. The ideal candidate is professional, creative, flexible, able to teach a diverse array of curriculum concepts, and able to communicate with young people and adults. Above all, this person has the ability to spark curiosity, creativity, and confidence in all City Summer Interns. The City Summer Instructor is responsible for implementing the City Summer internship experience for up to 25 interns in a variety of classroom environments. She will support delivery of an intentional youth development program to increase girl’s confidence, positive work habits and professional skills and use classes and weekly explorations to spark interest in STEM (science, technology, engineering, math) and other careers where women are under represented.
- Plan and co-deliver daily City Summer Internship lessons for up to 15 students per class.
- Create a safe, respectful girl-centered learning environment.
- Create and review weekly lesson plans with the Program Coordinator prior to delivery.
- Create lesson plans that are culturally relevant for a diverse population of students.
- Organize classroom to facilitate independence and self-control in students.
- Work closely with all staff to track participants’ progress.
- Contribute as a team member with other staff and do what is needed to succeed.
- Communicate regularly with families.
- Plan and support weekly workplace explorations.
- Effectively utilize prep time to prepare for activities and explorations.
Skills & Requirements
- Experience working with middle school girls required.
- Experience working with diverse families and communities required.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills necessary to work with young people and their families, staff, and worksite partners.
- Ability to manage up to 25 students in a safe, respectful environment.
- Basic computer skills
- Ability to walk distances of up to one mile, bend, lift, and move up to 20 lbs.
- Proof of TB test within the last year
- Bilingual Spanish/English preferred.
- Must have a cell phone and active phone number
Terms: Employee at will. This a Temporary position. Employment Dates: July 1 – August 13, 2020. Hours: 8 am to 4 pm. Staff Orientation/Site Start Up: July 1,2,6,7 2020. Wrap up: August 12, 2020.
Please send your resume and a letter indicating highlighting your strengths and interest in the program to firstname.lastname@example.org. Position will be posted until it is filled.